Being a mentor will connect you with a student in the field who can benefit from your experiences, expertise, and leadership style as they transition to a PHE professional as a long-term career goal.
You are welcome to apply to be a Mentor, although not required, we encourage you to register with us as a PHE Canada Supporter or Member (click here). In becoming a Mentor, you agree to comply with PHE Canada’s Code of Conduct, and meet the following criteria:
- Have at least 3 years of professional experience in the field of Physical and Health Education. Researchers and Practitioners are both encouraged to apply.
- Currently work in Canada or with a Canadian Institution (Ex: International Canadian School or Canadian University).
- Have dedicated time and availability to mentor young professionals; The minimum expectation is that the mentor will facilitate 2 to 3 virtual or face-to-face coffee conversations per school year with your mentee.
Once you have completed this form, if selected, PHE Canada will match you with interested mentee(s) throughout the year and share the next steps.
The Mentorship Success Pathway
- STEP 1: Make Yourself Available - Share your availability with your mentee(s).
- STEP 2: Build the Relationship - Ask your mentee(s) what they would like to talk about before each call.
- STEP 3: Seek Trust And Confidentiality - Let your mentee(s) know you value trust and what is said between both of you will remain confidential unless noted otherwise.
- STEP 4: Be Objective, Authentic, Genuine And Clear - Show your mentee(s) that it’s ok to be their authentic self throughout each encounter with them.
- STEP 5: Practice Active Listening - Show empathy. Remove alerts, notifications and other distractions as much as possible during the time spent with you mentee(s) to ensure they have your full attention.
Thank you in advance for your interest in investing in the future of PHE and for taking the time to fill out this short form below. Should you have have questions or concerns, email us at email@example.com.