Students are at the center of education and PHE Canada is committed to meaningful student engagement. To do this, a Youth Council was created to learn about the needs and interests of youth, directly from youth.
About PHE Canada's Youth Council
- Advising on PHE Canada’s strategic directions and activities
- Sharing issues that impact or are important to youth in physical and health education
- Sharing ideas and student centred solutions for a variety of physical and health education contexts
- Participating on youth panels at workshops and conferences
- Informing key decisions on PHE Canada awards and granting programs
The Youth Council includes 20 members, between the ages of 15 and 19, representing the geographic and demographic diversity of Canada.
Members must be enrolled in a high school, CEGEP or equivalent program in Canada, or have recently graduated. Youth Council members are welcome and encouraged to participate in the language of their choice.
Terms of Reference outlining the Youth Council structure were co-created with the Youth Council members in the first year of the Council and will be reviewed annually.
The Youth Advisory Council meets regularly during the school year through Zoom. Members are also asked to give feedback and input through surveys and emails as opportunities arise.
An annual commitment is required by each member. Prior to the first meeting of the year, the PHE Canada Staff Liaison will meet with each member to discuss personal and Council goals and intentions for the year. A year-end review of participation and goals will be conducted in May of each year.
Applications for the 2022-2023 Council are now closed. Please check back in the spring for information on the 2023-2024 Council.