The 2021-2025 Strategic Plan provides a clear path forward to ensuring that by 2025 the PHE Community is empowered to equip each and every child and youth with the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to lead resilient, active and healthy lives.
2021-2025 PHE Canada Strategic Plan
A Clear Path Forward
Download the 2021-2025 PHE Canada Strategic Plan
The 2021-2025 PHE Canada Strategic Plan represents the collaborative efforts of the PHE Community. It was accepted by the Board of Directors in February 2021 and is centered on 4 strategic priorities: ADVANCE, GROW, ELEVATE, and MOBILIZE.
The plan outlines the vision, mission, and four strategic priorities.
All children and youth in Canada lead active, healthy lives.
PHE Canada empowers the Canadian Physical and Health Education Community to ensure students have the knowledge, skills and attitudes to lead resilient, active, and healthy lives.
Strategic Priorities & Intentions
To achieve the vision and mission, PHE Canada is committed to four strategic priorities, shown below, each with a number of strategic intentions.
1. ADVANCE the personal, physical, cultural, and social development and well-being of children and youth in Canada
- Lift up the Physical and Health Education Community with national competencies and accessible resources to increase knowledge, skills, and confidence in delivering and assessing a quality PHE curriculum.
- Innovate, test, and share wise practices to increase implementation of relevant and current content (e.g., health literacy, physical literacy, outdoor learning, social justice, outdoor education, and wellness).
- Offer professional development programs, tools, and resources to fit a variety of contexts, shifting social contexts and responding to the needs of educators.
- Support COVID-19 recovery by promoting the role of Physical and Health Education and movement opportunities across the curricula, and before, during, and after school.
- Stimulate and strengthen education policy in the areas of quality Physical and Health Education, Healthy Schools, curricular minutes, recess, intramurals, and school sport.
- Serve as the national voice and leader for Physical and Health Education and ensure the PHE Community is well represented in the development of national social, physical, and health policies and programs.
2. GROW membership and strengthen access to meaningful Physical and Health Education knowledge, resources, and programs
- Expand membership within the PHE Community, both nationally and locally, and expand to the broader education, recreation, and health sectors.
- Enhance PHECanada.ca for open access and usability.
- Ensure the PHE Community is well-equipped with relevant research and teaching tools through campaigns and web resources.
- Expand e-learning, webinars, and in-person professional development opportunities.
- Leverage social media to empower and connect peers to one another and with new approaches, research, and better practices.
- Communicate widely and creatively about the importance of quality PHE and movement opportunities throughout the whole day.
3. ELEVATE commitment to diverse, equitable, and inclusive Physical and Health Education programs, practices, and leadership
- Conduct an Equity Audit and implement recommendations within PHE Canada and its programs and resources.
- Increase leadership of Black, Indigenous, Newcomer, Racialized, LGBTQ2SI+, and students and people with disabilities on the PHE Canada board, its staff, and advisory groups.
- Respectfully collaborate on new research, programs, and resources that express and incorporate youth voice and multiple views of health and wellness so students see themselves and their lives reflected in daily learning opportunities.
- Foster the knowledge of equity, diversity, and inclusion through research, programs, professional development opportunities, and resources to ensure today’s and tomorrow’s Physical and Health Education educators are fully equipped to teach Canada’s diverse student population inclusively and equitably.
- Collaborate with cultural knowledge holders and experts to amplify and center culturally sustaining pedagogy and Indigenous ways of knowing and principles of learning within PHE Canada programs and resources.
- Cultivate greater equity, diversity, and inclusion through a whole school approach and champion culturally safe and healthy schools.
4. MOBILIZE PHE Canada’s Board of Directors, staff, volunteers, consultants and our work for impact
- Empower the PHE Community through partnerships and grants.
- Nurture, enable, and celebrate excellence and wise practice in Physical and Health Education through awards and storytelling.
- Seek sustainable sources of revenue for PHE Canada and build capacity through close authentic partnerships.
- Be an energetic and resilient workplace, supporting a growth orientation for all board, volunteers, and staff to excel and lead the organization effectively and efficiently.
- Expand fundraising activities to support PHE Canada’s responsiveness to emergent issues and opportunities.
- Be recognized as a respectful, inclusive workplace with strong board and executive leadership.