The purpose of the We Belong: A How-To Guide is to share practical ways to enhance the experiences of newcomer youth in physical activity settings.
- supports facilitators in fostering developmental assets in participants to increase the likeliness that youth will make good choices in the program and in life;
- provides background information on how being active supports healthy development in youth;
- includes information on Asset-Based Community Development; and
- suggests how facilitators can incorporate these concepts into their programming.
The guide includes five sections for developing quality programming using an Asset-Based Community Development approach:
- Introduction - provides an overview, key definitions and sets the context for program development
- Planning Phase - includes sections on religious and cultural considerations, family and parental influences, adaptations and modifications, safety and addressing other barriers
- Implementation Phase - focuses on appropriate communication strategies and participant guidelines
- Evaluation Phase - provides information on various evaluation tools and details to consider at the end of the program
- Appendices - includes a variety of information on building developmental assets, worksheets for program planning, case studies and sample permission and evaluation forms