Application deadline: January 15, 2019!
The PHE Canada Health Promoting Schools Champion Award recognizes an individual, group, or organization for their exemplary contribution to the development, promotion, and/or implementation of Healthy School Communities.
Number of Awards
One (1) recipient is selected for this award each conference cycle.
Who may Nominate?
Anyone may nominate an individual for this award. This includes provincial/territorial physical and health education association members, public health professionals, colleagues, parents, students, or any individual wishing to highlight the exceptional work of an individual, group or organization implementing a Health Promoting Schools program.
To be eligible for this award, nominees must meet the following criteria:
- The nominee(s) has been directly involved in Health Promoting School work.
- The nominee(s) can be from any sector (i.e., teachers, administrators, public health professionals, school board consultants, parent councils, volunteer agencies, not-for-profit groups, police, social services, etc.) and has worked collaboratively with others to create a Health Promoting School environment.
- The nominee(s) has made a positive impact in the area of Health Promoting Schools and has demonstrated results that show their impact (e.g. policy development, supportive environments, etc.)
- The nominee has developed a unique approach by encouraging the school community to role model the health and behaviours intended.
- The nominee has been able to successfully create, maintain and sustain a Health Promoting School through their commitment and work.
- The nominee must not be a previous recipient of this award.
Describe the Health Promoting School in which the nominee is involved.
The nominees work is described in detail and the descriptions show how they accomplished and modeled the comprehensive school health philosophy specific to the four pillars: Healthy Policy, Teaching and Learning, Healthy Social and Physical Environments, and Partnerships and Services.
Describe how the approach utilized by the nominee actively engaged the school community (or communities) including, but not limited to, staff, families, parent councils, etc.
Outline the positive impacts made by the nominee(s) and provide examples/proof of their positive impacts.
Describe how the work of the nominee has provided sustainable change within the school community, school board and/or region.
During each award cycle, PHE Canada shall determine an appropriate nomination deadline. Nomination forms should be submitted online, with accompanying documentation submitted electronically, by fax or by mail. All components of the award must be received by the deadline. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
PHE Canada will review each nomination package for completeness and eligibility, and will forward nominations to the PHE Canada Awards Committee who will select recipients.
Award Presentation and Benefits
The recipient of this award receives:
- Award recognition plaque
- Recognition in the Annual Report and on the website
- Recognition during the next PHE Canada National Conference
- Complimentary registration at the next PHE Canada National Conference(travel and accommodations are not included)