This award honours an individual, group, or organization for their exemplary and unique contribution to Physical and Health Education and/or Healthy School Communities through the development of innovative resources, practices, pedagogy or research and has demonstrated results that show their transformative impact.
2022 Nomination Period
November 14th, 2022 - February 10th, 2023
Number of Awards
Up to ten (10) recipients are selected for this award each conference cycle.
Who may Nominate?
Anyone may nominate an individual, group, or organization for this award. This includes provincial/territorial physical and health education association members, PHE Canada and Provincial/Territorial Association staff, public health professionals, colleagues, parents, students, or any individual wishing to highlight the exceptional work of an individual, group or organization implementing a Health Promoting Schools program. Nominations from underrepresented groups are encouraged.
- The nominee can be an individual, group, or organization.
- The nominee can be from any sector (i.e., teachers, administrators, public health professionals, school board consultants, parent councils, volunteer agencies, not-for-profit groups, social services, etc.)
- The nominee can demonstrate transformative impact to the advancement of quality Physical and Health Education in Canada.
The nomination form must be completed and submitted with:
- Three nominators listed.
- Biographical sketch of the nominee that is 250-300 words in length.
- 500-word description of:
- Description of research/innovative practices;
- Impact of the research/innovative practices have had in the field of physical education and health education beyond the school;
- Knowledge mobilization/ Engagement strategy;
- 100-word synopsis of accomplishments.
- Two (2) 250-word letters of reference that speak specifically to the evaluation criteria.
- Supporting documentation (not exceeding five pages) that showcases the nominee’s contribution to the field.
- The nominee(s) has made a positive impact in the school community or beyond and can demonstrate results that show their impact.
- The nominee(s) has made a transformative impact in the school community through the development of innovative resources, practices, pedagogy, or research in physical and/or health education.
During each award cycle, PHE Canada shall determine an appropriate nomination deadline. Nomination forms should be submitted online, with accompanying documentation submitted electronically, by fax or by mail. All components of the award must be received by the deadline. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
PHE Canada will review each nomination package for completeness and eligibility, and will forward nominations to the PHE Canada Awards Committee who will select recipients.
Other selection considerations include:
- Consideration will be given to balancing the Impact Award across the country.
- PHE Canada is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion in the award selection process.
Award Presentation and Benefits
Impact Award recipients receive:
- Award recognition plaque
- Recognition in the Annual Report and on the website
- Recognition during the next PHE Canada National Conference
- Complimentary registration at the next PHE Canada National Conference (travel and accommodations are not included)