Established in 1999, the North American Society (NAS) Award recognizes outstanding professionals within the allied professions of physical and health education, recreation, and sport in North America.
The award recipient shall be a person who has been active within the recognized allied disciplines of PHE Canada and maintains residence in Canada.
PHE Canada and Shape America present the North American Society Award at their respective National Conference.
PHE Canada is now accepting nominations for this award. Nominations are open till January 15, 2021.
The North American Society Award is for individuals who are currently members of Shape America or PHE Canada, are leaders of the profession, and have provided extensive contributions to the profession over the course of their careers. Nominations from underrepresented groups are encouraged.
The award recipient shall be a person who has been active within one (or more) of the recognized allied disciplines of PHE Canada/Shape America and who resides in Canada.
Individuals must meet the following criteria:
- Currently members of PHE Canada or Shape America.
- PHE Canada members are nominated through submissions to the PHE Canada Awards Committee.
- Shape America members are nominated through submissions to the Shape America Awards Committee.
- Demonstrated outstanding competence through professional involvement over a period of at least 20 years.
- Meet at least two of the identified aspects of professional endeavour listed below and highlighted in the letters of reference:
- Service as an educator in the public or private sector within any community or educational setting.
- Administration within the public or private sector within any community or educational setting.
- Significant contributions to the professional literature within their discipline.
- Significant contributions to the scholarly literature within their discipline.
- Sustained involvement in leadership activities within their discipline.
- Other evidence of leadership within the profession including service to the community at large.
Candidates must be nominated and have a completed nomination package submitted on their behalf. A complete nomination package must include:
- Completed nomination form.
- Three letters of reference that outline how the nominee meets at least two of the six professional endeavours listed under the eligibility section.
- Biographical sketch of the nominee that is 250- 300 words in length. The biographical sketch should highlight the professional contributions made by the nominee that are relevant to the criteria of the award.
- Supporting documentation (not exceeding five pages) that showcases the nominee’s contribution to the field.