The PHE Canada National Award for Teaching Excellence in Physical Education honours Canadian teachers who provide outstanding teaching performance at the elementary, middle, or secondary levels, who have an exceptional ability to motivate students to participate in a lifetime of physical activity, and who further Physical Education in Canada.
Number of Awards
Up to 3 recipients are selected for this award each conference cycle.
Who may Nominate?
Anyone may nominate an individual for this award. This includes provincial/territorial physical and health education association members, colleagues, parents, students, or any individual wishing to highlight the exceptional service of a physical education teacher.
To be eligible to receive the National Award for Teaching Excellence in Physical Education, a nominee must meet the following requirements:
- Is a member/supporter of their respective provincial organization and/or PHE Canada.
- Teaching responsibility for physical education in one or more grades from kindergarten to grade 12.
- Is fully certified by their respective province to teach and follows provincial curriculum using sound pedagogical principles.
- Minimum of 7 years teaching experience in physical education.
- Have a permanent teaching contract, at the time of nomination and selection.
- The candidate must not be a previous PETE Award recipient or have previously received the National Award for Teaching Excellence in Physical Education.
The applicant must be a teacher who:
- Conducts a quality physical education program as reflected in PHE Canada’s definition and the provincial curriculum.
- Has established a balanced program that includes a wide range of learning opportunities, a variety of teaching methodologies, utilizes assessment for and of learning, and provides innovative, engaging learning experiences.
- Provides learning experiences for learners that develops physical literacy and encourages a physically active lifestyle in the school and greater school community.
- Has made a substantial contribution to the field by positively impacting the teaching of physical education curriculum in the school, region, and province.
- Participates in professional development opportunities related to the teaching of physical education and also shares their expertise with colleagues locally, regionally, provincially or nationally.
- The package must be supported with a biographical sketch and two (2) letters of reference that speak specifically to the above criteria.
During each award cycle, PHE Canada shall determine an appropriate nomination deadline. Nomination forms should be submitted online, with accompanying documentation submitted electronically, by fax or by mail. All components of the award must be received by the deadline. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
PHE Canada will review each nomination package for completeness and eligibility, and will forward nominations to the PHE Canada Awards Committee who will select recipients.
Award Presentation and Benefits
National Award for Teaching Excellence in Physical Education recipients receive:
- Award recognition plaque
- Recognition in the Annual Report and on the website
- Recognition during the next PHE Canada National Conference
- Complimentary registration at the next PHE Canada National Conference (travel and accommodations are not included)