The Professional Development (PD) Grant stream provides financial support to in-service physical and health education teachers and healthy school champions looking to enhance their knowledge, skills, and capacity through professional development opportunities.
Eligible PD opportunities include, but may not limited to, in-person workshops, professional development event registrations (travel and accommodations not included), and online training and certification courses. Professional Development grants typically range from $50 to $500 and are distributed directly to the successful applicants upon proof of professional development opportunity fees/payment/attendance.
2023 Application Period
The application form opens on Monday, September 18, 2023 and closes on Friday, November 10, 2023.
Number of Funded Professional Development Opportunities
There is no set number for how many individuals will receive the PD grants each year. Each year, approximately $20,000 in PHE Empowerment Grants Funds will be distributed for all available streams. All completed applications will be reviewed and evaluated, and a number of PD applications will be approved. Professional Development Grants typically range from $50 to $500.
Who May Apply?
In-service educators are encouraged to apply for the PHE Empowerment Grants Program Professional Development funding, however, the professional development opportunity identified must be related to physical and health education and/or healthy schools. Applications from under-represented groups are encouraged.
Examples of eligible applicants include:
- In-service teachers
- School administrators and school board (e.g. principals, curriculum leads, superintendents, etc.)
Essential Considerations & Required Information
- Only one application per individual can be submitted. The form must be filled out by the same person who will participate in the PD opportunity.
- Only fully completed applications will be reviewed. Applications received after November 10, 2023, will not be considered.
- Successful applicants can expect to be notified and receive funding by January 2024. Grant funding must be spent by June 30, 2024.
- Successful applicants need to provide PHE Canada the proof of professional development opportunity fees/payment/attendance, prior to PHE Canada distributing the funds.
- PHE Canada may reach out to verify the provided information or request any additional information.
What can you spend the Professional Development Grants funds on?
- In-person workshops
- Professional development event registrations
- online training and certification courses
What can’t you spend the grant funds on?
- Travel and accommodations
- Substitute teacher fees
- School administrative costs (e.g., rent, phone/internet access, office expenses, etc.)
The information provided in the application form and supporting documents must demonstrate that:
- The opportunity identified will make a real difference in the applicant’s physical and health education and/or healthy school programming and practice, and build capacity in the school community.
- The amount requested is cost-effective and realistic, and the applicant has not received other grants for the same PD opportunity.
Each application will undergo a thorough evaluation process. An application that clearly articulates and aligns with the criteria specified above in the Selection Criteria significantly enhances its likelihood of being awarded a grant.
What can I expect if my application is accepted?
If you are a successful recipient of a PHE Empowerment Grant, a PHE Canada staff will notify the primary applicant via the email address provided. Once the proof of professional development opportunity fees/payment/attendance is received, PHE Canada will email you a template of the Impact and Recognition Report and mail your cheque. Recipients are to complete and return the Impact and Recognition Report upon completion of the PD opportunity or June 30, 2024, whichever comes first.